Friday, July 31, 2009

Pregnant cat question?

first of all- DON'T GET ALL RIGHTEOUS ON ME. She's not my cat. Thank you. =]





I am taking care of a stray cat named Lily, She's very, very pregnant. As in, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she had her kittens tomorrow. I've hooked up a babysitting job and i'll be making money, after she has her kittens and I have enough, i'll take her in to get spayed and have her shots, and try to rehome her.





But, my question is, How soon after she begins to produce milk(I don't mean actually lactating, I mean swelling and filling with milk) Do cats usually give birth?





I've seen a cat through birth two times before, but that was four years ago, and some things are hazy. We keep thinking 'tomorrow!' but it never is...

Pregnant cat question?
Bless you for taking care of Lily.





I had a very pregnant female stray many years ago, but she just wasn't sure she trusted me enough to handle her...but she came running when I set food out. We did this for about 3 weeks until one day she didn't come for her food. Finally the 3rd day she came and gobble a few bites and I watched where she kept looking and where she ran back to her babies. Good news, she allowed us to rescue her and her 5 tiny kittens from the weeds (in a cow field no less). She is the only pregnant female I've experienced.





I did find this link that says the queen is about to give birth..when milk discharges from the nipples. I don't know if that is any help, but this site appears to have some good info otherwise.





Also, if you are in the US, here is a list of free and low cost spay/neuter clinics arranged by state. I hope one of them is near you so you can help your little Lily.





Purrs to you and Lily.
Reply:Don't worry she takes care of it all! She should clean up after her self and her babies. I only had one kitty who did not and she stopped labor and I had to take her to a vet and he gave her a shot that brought on the contractions and she had two more. That is very rare. The nursing will begin right after the kittens are cleaned and they go right where they are supposed to go, I think they smell the milk. Just make sure she has a box big enough for her self and her babies and clean towels or blankets so you can change them after this all over, or even newspapers. I used an old play pen for the cat and her babies. FYI




commericial loan

No comments:

Post a Comment